Sunday, June 07, 2009

Port

Port Mosaic
We had a walk round Bordeaux's port de plaisance this afternoon. I love old rusty, dilapidated boats and cars and there are certainly plenty of those in the port. There are none of the sleek yachts of Cannes here, just a motley mixture of sorry-looking barges and various other unseaworthy vessels.

In other news, I voted in the European elections this afternoon. I met our next-door neighbour on the way there. He's about eighty, I think. He started off by telling me not to vote for Danny le Rouge because he "put France in the shit" in 1968. The conversation then moved on to the sudden dip in the temperature and he told me about how May used to be the best month for weather in Bordeaux. It's the Virgin Mary's month and people would go out until late in the evening to, well I'm not quite sure what they were doing but something to do with Mary. "There are no more seasons", he concluded. And guess what - this is all due to motorways. Yes, apparently motorways aspirate all the warm air and create cold fronts. Who would have thought?

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Oh, if only that were true! Then the Kuala Lumpur area would be at least five or ten degrees cooler. Ahhhh, well I can dream...

deborah said...

The wonderful run down feel of the dry docks is Bordeaux's best kept secret. I dread the day they start cleaning it up ... no doubt already on the cards.

Lucy said...

What a lovely medley of different off-whites, delicious!

My slightly barking ex-neighbour and I were lamenting climate change, and she assured me it was actually because of the machines that the men who went to the moon had left there back then.

Confinement

Being confined indoors most of the day, just the four of us, is reminding me of the days when my children were wee and most of our weekends ...