Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Random thoughts on lecturing

  • A lecture theatre filled with a three or four hundred students is a scary thing to look up at from the podium.
  • A good PowerPoint presentation can look awesome on a gigantic screen. Unfortunately, tiny mistakes look correspondingly gigantic.
  • Next time, I'm using Prezi.
  • You cannot over-prepare and it's not a good idea to leave the "finishing touches" until an hour before the lecture because you'll have gone all skittery by that point.
  • Talking non-stop alone for an hour-and-a-half is actually very difficult. Who knew?
  • Today's students are really well equipped and seem to constantly be taking photographs of the slides (or maybe they just liked my outfit?)
  • They also record every single word you say and transcribe them later for distribution to class members who weren't present. Unfortunately, they even transcribe the feeble jokes.
  • You've got to be bit of a show-off to get any pleasure from this particular exercise in performance.
  • Although I have no plans to take up a stage career any time soon, I could get used to that warm feeling when they clap at the end, and the natural high that comes with the knowledge that it's all over and I managed not to trip and fall on my face or do the whole thing with my skirt tucked into my pants.

7 comments:

materfamilias said...

Fortunately, I teach at a small university where the model, in my discipline at least, is still for small classes (about 30 students per). Even with that, I find being at the front of the room draining, and I'm so glad I don't have to do the big lecture hall.
But being recorded and/or photographed is still alarming. Maybe even more so, as I'm even more likely to make the feeble jokes . . .

Lesley said...

Thankfully most of my classes are small too materfamilias, which is why I have made such a song and dance about having to do these lectures.

Timorous Beastie said...

Oh, it's scary the first time. I surprised myself by liking the ability to make them all fall silent waiting for my next word. I must be power-crazed.

Deadlyjelly said...

They CLAP?! I would say that's quite a result. Do you get a standing ovation too?

x

Lesley said...

Timorous beastie: Yes, it would be easy to abuse that power *rubs hands gleefully*

Deadjelly: I suspect they clap because I always stop a little early.

Rosie said...

you'll get to love it I'm sure. It's like being on stage. You'll end up throwing tv sets in swimming pools just like I used nto...

オテモヤン said...

オナニー
逆援助
SEX
フェラチオ
ソープ
逆援助
出張ホスト
手コキ
おっぱい
フェラチオ
中出し
セックス
デリヘル
包茎
逆援
性欲