Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Streaming Nose Stream of Consciousness

Your nose is runnin'/ And your eyes are red / Your head is achin'/ You'd be better in bed/ From the bottom of your fever/To the throbbing in your toes /You've got a cold. Must go to bed. Wonder if some warm Talisker would do any good. When will the winter to be over ? Wish I hadn’t left that pretentious remark in someone's comment box. What could we do this summer ? Maybe one of those house swap things. When will those children go to sleep ? the mercury's rising/ To a hundred and four/You've got a beauty, a bad ass / The mother of them all. What’s the likelihood of swapping our average under-equipped house for a sumptious mansion in the Hamptons? Maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket tomorrow. Picked a book off the shelf yesterday looking for a reference for a student. Book's called « L’Idiot du Voyage » by sociologist called Jean-Dider Urbain. Got in the car to turned the radio on after a couple of minutes realised I was listening to an interview with self-same Jean-Didier Urbain. Now that has to be some sort of sign, I hadn’t looked at that book in at least three years. I'd quite like to go to Cape Breton on a home exchange. The book is about tourists and tourism (as opposed to travel). Wherever we go, we'll be tourists. Tomorrow morning I’m going to order that armoire in the sale at La Redoute. I'm selling a mobile phone on e-bay, looks as thoough it'll go for 1€. Drat. When will those bloody children go to sleep ? Foreign bodies in your Kleenex/ You've got no taste at all/ While your system is dyin'/ the bugs are havin' a ball/ You've got a beauty, a bad ass/ The mother of them all/ You've got a cold I used to love 10CC, I've still got that Deceptive Bends album somewhere. Where? No classes tomorrow and Friday's a "journée morte" at the university: we won't be answering e-mails or phone calls, there'll be no classes. We're protesting against the paucity of the university budget: "la dotation globale du fonctionnement". Shut up please children. I do wonder about these people who land up here through search engines. Tonight I see someone was looking for an English translation of Hubert Félix Thiefaine. I saw him give a concert in Périgueux. The only song I remember is La Fille du Coupeur de Joints. Someone else was looking for "coitus interruption". I wish I could write back and give my opinion. Not a safe option. Today a girl at work told me that her sister had a baby in her flat this morning. She had one contraction, thought I'll just have a quick shower. Had another contraction and an irresistible urge to push. Came out of the shower, waters broke, 15-month-old older child jumped into her arms crying. By the time the pompiers got there the baby had crowned. One more push and she was out. Are house swaps safe? Must go and see if the blogger has responded to my pretentious comment.
Did I mention that I've got a cold?

12 comments:

Jonathan Wonham said...

Lubberly blog.

Anonymous said...

I love posts like this

Anonymous said...

Talisker? definitely

Perhaps you could have another thingummy on the right hand side of your blog with the title 'things I am going to sell soon' so we can put in an offer before those smart Alecs at ebay pocket their percentage.

Anonymous said...

You should definitely go to Cape Breton. Nowhere else but Cape Breton.

Signed,

A completely Objective, Totally Unbiased Individual Who Happens To Be From Cape Breton

Tee hee!

Anonymous said...

jordan
I went to your blog to see about Cape Breton and read all about China which is just as good if not better at the moment! Left a comment but not sure if it worked.

Anonymous said...

Where IS Cape Breton?

Anonymous said...

Deborah: saw your comment and approved it (I\'m moderating comments because of..well, long story).
Cape Breton is an island at the northeast end of the Canadian province of Nova Scotia, on the east coast. If you look at a map of Canada, it hardly looks like an island, stuck as it is to mainland Nova Scotia by that little causeway. Not too many jobs in Cape Breton (every time I go back I find fewer people I know, because most people leave after high school). It\'s a beautiful place, though.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, jordan. I tried to look on the internet but nothing is as good as looking at a map and I can't find an atlas in all this mess.
At first I muddled it up with Capbreton in France!

Lesley said...

Deborah, One of the reasons I would like to go to Cape Breton is a great novel I had a conversation with Jordan about in his comments box. It's No Great Mischief by Alistair MacLeod. Have yoou read it? I've been looking at the home exchange sites and haven't found anything actually in Cape Breton. Plenty of people in Halifax who want to swap though.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have read it, you lent it to me, I think I should read it again. I remember more 'Night falls on Ardnamurchan' ..... and that title, so beautiful.
But it did exactly conjure up the Island, now I can make the link, I had forgotten of course.

Nathan Lowell said...

Get well soon.

Colds suck.

Bee said...

We could swap houses from time to time. I'm melting down here :-)
Warm regards from Brazil,
Bee

Confinement

Being confined indoors most of the day, just the four of us, is reminding me of the days when my children were wee and most of our weekends ...