Tuesday, March 26, 2019

An up-high window-box


6 things I saw today

An up-high window-box on a honey-stone façade filled with cacti; the sort that look a bit like green Mickey-Mouse ears.

An old-fashioned marble counter in Cadiot-Badie, a venerable chocolate shop on the Allées de Tourny.  The young woman who served me was wearing yellow-gold eye-shadow.

A glimpse of long black hair as the woman sitting behind me on the tram told her friend back home in Marseille that she was really quite happy, it was just that nothing had happened in her life yet. Her not-from-here accent rang out like a fog-horn.

“Boats on the Shore”, a painting by Joan Eardley. Someone tweeted it earlier today and even on my phone screen I loved it: vivid boat colours streaked across the bottom left-hand corner, the rest a dullish green sea.

A woman at the tram stop with a tote bag that declared “J’ai donné/ du sang / et vous?” I can’t remember if those were the exact words, but the middle line was red and diagonal, with the whole thing giving off a bit of that seventies aesthetic that’s popular. They don’t want my blood because I lived in the UK during those very seventies. Prions, you see.

My daughter’s smudged mascara. A bad mark when you’ve worked hard is difficult to accept.

No comments:

Confinement

Being confined indoors most of the day, just the four of us, is reminding me of the days when my children were wee and most of our weekends ...