Friday, October 19, 2007

Cruel Booker Breastfeeder

I see that Anne Enright has won the Booker prize. I have not read any of her novels but I have noticed her writing in the London Review of Books. I think the first of her articles to draw my attention must have been "My Milk" published in October 2000 just before I had my first baby, so I probably didn't get round to reading it until about Christmas that year. By which time the subject of the article, breastfeeding, had become an all-consuming way of life. There are lines in the article that I quite liked :
...what fun to be granted a new bodily function so late in life. As if you woke up one morning and could play the piano.

but I didn't really get the whole thing, the intellectualising of something that, for me at least, was like falling off a log. I loved breastfeeding: it wasn't painful, it wasn't a source of offense, and it certainly wasn't sexual.

More recently I read a diary column by Anne Enright on "Hating the McCanns". It is provocative and it is cruel — somebody wrote a letter to the LRB the following week saying that it made him hate Anne Enright — but it is also honest. I can't help thinking that I too have been irritated by the "wounded narcissism" and the "corporate-executive" speak that the McCanns sometimes project.

Has anyone read The Gathering?

7 comments:

Ms Mac said...

I haven't read The Gathering and because I've read that it's very bleak will probably not read it. I haven't read her thing about breastfeeding wither because people who wax lyrical about breastfeeding and how much joy/pain/whatever it gave them annoy me. But, I have read her piece about the McCanns and was struck by one particular quote that resonated very deeply with me. Interesting.

Lesley said...

Ms Mac: Am scanning the article to find THAT sentence.

Lucy said...

Yes, I enjoyed the McCanns piece, it isn't offensive in my reckoning, but I suppose it's still too close for comfort. Her intellectualising and analysis of language is a bit uncomfortable perhaps, or perhaps that's just me because I'm intimidated by the cleverbuggery of it. I also enjoyed the 'Listen to Heloise' piece, but then she didn't go on to say why and how we could listen to Heloise...
I didn't read the breastfeeding bit because once you've lived in
Totnes, you've had enough of that as an issue to last a lifetime.

Lucy said...

... oh, no I haven't read 'The Gathering'.

Anonymous said...

Could only get through half the article in LRB and found it totally and utterly distasteful ... then tried the breastfeeding one and got a quarter of the way through. So will give The Gathering a miss!

Was pleased the other day about Doris Lessing whose prose I get on better with.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should all read an extract from The Gathering before jumping to conclusions about it's so-called "bleakness".It's bracing :)

Here's a link to an excerpt:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/manbooker2007/0,,2192464,00.html

Charlotte said...

I'm definitely going to read The Gathering. It's on my Christmas list!

Confinement

Being confined indoors most of the day, just the four of us, is reminding me of the days when my children were wee and most of our weekends ...