Friday, May 03, 2019

Papillon


-->


As part of a massive public health survey I go for a cognitive text. This involves a lot of counting backwards in multiples of seven. I can’t help feeling that having to do that quick translation in my head from 76 to sixty-ten-six and 97 to four-twenties-ten-seven in French puts me at something of a disadvantage. The words I am given to remember are slightly unusual but not too outlandish: accordéon, oseille, buffet, bronze, cravate, couturier, palmier, peluche, framboise, aviron, mouette, maquereau, begonia, flamenco. When I am asked to give as many words as possible beginning with P, my brain runs amok and comes up with some truly unusual words. Disappointingly, he psychologist is impassive rather than impressed.

1 comment:

warren said...

Re this basking Mariposa
From my field guide :
The Small Copper is usually seen in ones and twos, but in some years large numbers may be found at good sites. Males are territorial, often choosing a piece of bare ground or a stone on which to bask and await passing females. They behave aggressively towards any passing insects, returning to the same spot when the chase is over.
Maybe you didn't mention Psychologist as the first P word ... for sure my first would have been Pipi then Peppa Pig

Confinement

Being confined indoors most of the day, just the four of us, is reminding me of the days when my children were wee and most of our weekends ...